Help....Please. USB problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JBazz, Apr 16, 2006.

1. JBazz macrumors 6502

Thanks in advance to whomever takes the time to read my thread and offer advice.

I have a G3 iMac 600mhz with 768 MB of memory and it is running Mac OSX 10.2.8. Recently, my system degraded to the point where it would not recognize my USB devices such as my iPod, my iSight, my Kodak digital camera or my USB 8-in-1 media reader/writer.

So, I archieved my system and put a fresh reinstall of my OS. I did all my updates and things were going fine for a week or so. Now, it no longer recognizes my iSight or USB media reader/writer. As of now, my iPod is updating and it recognizes it.

I dont want to do another fresh install of my OS because each time I do, the iTunes I have purchased think it is a new computer. Last install, I got a message on my oldest iTunes that this was the fifth computer and no more were allowed.

Any ideas what is happening to my USB devices and why my system doesnt recognize them?

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Not related to the question at hand, but to the other question on iTunes.

Web Link

Next time you do a fresh install, use the deauthorize button in the advance menu of iTunes.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The USB drivers built into the OS shouldn't (and won't) degrade over time. If you're having problems with your ports, then it's 99.9999% likely to be hardware failure of your logic board. The fix? Replacing the logic board. :(

You might want to invest some time in resetting the CUDA (you can google for it), which might help, but I really doubt it.

4. JBazz thread starter macrumors 6502

It is something that is related to my OS because when I did a fresh install, it fixed it. I ususally get these problems when I do updates.

From reading over on the apple board, many people are having the same problem. I am not very literate so I have difficultly understanding how to fix it. I am 99% sure the problem is in the system updates.

Plus, I have noticed over the last 8 years that these mysterious things start happening when Mac comes out with either a new OS or in this case, now processors.

Thanks for the replies.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Seems odd as I support Macs as a vocation and never had this problem with any of the many, many, many flavors of Macs I support, including your model.

I don't remember any problems like this with Jaguar, though I moved everyone to Panther as soon as it was available. I still believe it's a problem with hardware. You should still try a CUDA reset and investigate the posibility of replacing the internal lithium battery.

You should also make sure your firmware is up to date. It should be 4.1.9 (you will still need OS 9 installed to update it).