Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redeye be

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
BXL
Do what yellow told you to do.
It'll help

You could also take a look in the log (with the console app - as mentioned). And look which app or what error is filling up the file (the message(s) that is/are repeated over and over and over... you get it, right?).

If you post what you see there, we might be able to help you some more.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Sorry folks.I was refering to the cache thats on the memory chip..

It's very possible that the HD is just full and the O/S has never been fixed etc..

Ya gotta remember virtual memory can get quit large..

As far as a system log being 10-20 gigs..I find that hard to believe.

It's also coincincidental (sp? ) that a newbie post about a "*VIRUS*" appears after 2-3 days of full blown attacks on new Macs..

just an opinion...Dont get all in a huff!! :)

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Peace said:
Sorry folks.I was refering to the cache thats on the memory chip..

It's very possible that the HD is just full and the O/S has never been fixed etc..

It's also coincincidental (sp? ) that a newbie post about a "*VIRUS*" appears after 2-3 days of full blown attacks on new Macs..

just an opinion...Dont get all in a huff!! :)

Attacks on new Macs? I probably read that wrong, but what are you talking about?

Boelman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
I have never heard of this before. Sounds a little too complicated for me but I doubt it is a virus. I have been using macs for a while and have never seen one ever.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
FadeToBlack said:
Attacks on new Macs? I probably read that wrong, but what are you talking about?

Sorry.A better word would have been bad press or windows users purposefully coming into Mac boards and spreading bad/misleading information in order to try and discredit the new Apple Intel Macs..

Mac Attacks!! :)

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Peace said:
Sorry.A better word would have been bad press or windows users purposefully coming into Mac boards and spreading bad/misleading information in order to try and discredit the new Apple Intel Macs..

Mac Attacks!! :)

:D Yeah, you scared me there for a minute, man. I was looking around for info about these "attacks" on Macs. :cool:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Peace said:

Typically swap doesn't get that large.. however, it's quiet possible that the system.log can get that large, I read that as a problem once in a while on various forums. Plus, I have no reason to believe that an obvious n00b (sorry , nicole82467) would be lying as she came up with /var/log/system.log as being the disk space sucking culprit.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
redeye be said:
You should also take a look in the log (with the console app - as mentioned). And look which app or what error is filling up the file (the message(s) that is/are repeated over and over and over... you get it, right?).

If you post what you see there, we might be able to help you some more.
Yes, you need to look in the log to find out which application it is that is making all these log entries that fills up your hard drive. (I changed could to should in redeye be's post).

Then you must fix the problem with that particular application, or the problem will just come back.

Dalriada

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2004
Moorlough Shore
Common guys, helping a MR newbie is nice but he didn't even know what a reboot meant.... and then y're asking him to repair permissions.... I smell a rat..... my 2 cents :rolleyes:

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
Dalriada said:
Common guys, helping a MR newbie is nice but he didn't even know what a reboot meant.... and then y're asking him to repair permissions.... I smell a rat..... my 2 cents :rolleyes:

yeah, i believe he's a she. and she did clarify that they called it a restart, which threw them... never underestimate the "n00bieness" of a "n00b", i had one client acyually moving files into folders, through the top of the icon! bless...

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I had a similar problem with a file I got from our ISP in Canada. We were on dial-up and they offered us a free download accelerator. It was a 5 or 6MB program that within about half an hour was well over 5GB and my iBook was running slower than a senior citizen driving a Toyota Crown with a caravan attached on a long weekend.

Trashed the program and it was fine.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
Peace said:

1) Bloated system logs are nothing new.
2) I find it not surprising that a recent switcher attributes malfunction of his machine to a "virus"

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Dalriada said:

yeh i agree, or else its a very paranoid computer scared person.

lexfuzo

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
The heart of Europe
gekko513 said:
Yes, you need to look in the log to find out which application it is that is making all these log entries that fills up your hard drive. (I changed could to should in redeye be's post).

Then you must fix the problem with that particular application, or the problem will just come back.

Yes that's true but at first you have to trash the multi-GB file. (Not a big loss, since it will fill up again quite soon :rolleyes: )
I wouldn't like to open such a file on a system with NO HD-space left...

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Sorry to the noob and other folks.
I've just never seen a system.log file that huge..
But then again I rotate and clear ( after checking ) logs all the time so maybe I've never had a chance to have a log that size..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.