Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

volcomsurf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Hi,

I'm new to the Mac world. I purchased a G3 iMac in 2003. I don't have any idea how to connect it to the internet. Do I really need an Airport card just to connect to the internet wirelessly? Or do I need it to. If I need an airport card I might as well just get another computer because I don't feel like spending too much money on this iMac. If I don't need an airport card then what do I need, as in the router and etc. Here are my specifications:

Memory: 96 MB
Machine Speed: 333 Mhz
Bus Speed: 67 Mhz
Operating System: OS X 10.2 Jaguar

I'm sorry for posting this again but I am really unhappy at the moment because if its neccessary to get an Airport card and a wireless router then I might as well just sell this because I'm not willing to spend money on a G3 iMac. If its not neccessary please tell me if I do or do not need an Airport card and only a Wireless Router. THANK YOU.
Thanks. :confused:

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
airport is the easy option but you can go ethernet cable to a wi-fi router then out to whatever wireless internet connetion you have

if you are going to do this avoid d-link routers as i have wasted days trying to get them to work , Belkin work a dream

hope this helps

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
mad jew said:
Aren't there USB 802.11g cards/sticks? I can't find any at the moment so maybe I'm just making this up. :(
issues would be drivers though ?

i think this will work

IOGear WiFi 54g USB Adapter GWU523 - network adapter

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Buy a Mac Mini, or iMac if you can. Between a USB wireless option (if you find one compatible) and a wireless router (Belkin, or LinkSys) its going to have costs nearly $150. Get a Mac Mini (with Airport standard) and a wireless router (combined $600). I wouldn't really bother with that iMac.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
volcomsurf said:
Hi,

I'm new to the Mac world. I purchased a G3 iMac in 2003. I don't have any idea how to connect it to the internet. Do I really need an Airport card just to connect to the internet wirelessly? Or do I need it to.
You have a choice:

Your first question is - why do you need wireless?

The prudent option would be to use a non-Wireless router connected to whatever broadband Internet service you have (Cable or ADSL), and simply run an Ethernet cable from the router to your Mac.

(You don't even need the router, you can hook the iMac directly to the cable or DSL modem. But a non-wireless router is about $35 and gives you some firewall protection as well as the ability to hook up other Macs and PC's)

The cable can be routed along baseboards and under carpets. If it is impossible to connect via a physical cable, then I recommend selling off the iMac G3 and going with a modern Mac with a wireless card built in.

That iMac is severly limited in any case -- if you are keeping it consider upgrading the RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.