Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prp134

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
So now that I have two computers, I want to share my yahoo DSL connection with both a pc and a mac.

However, I was reading recently online that although it may be fairly easy to set up a router there is still the issue of security. I read so many guides that talk about WEP WAP WAP2 and disabling SSD something so that people can see your network and so on but it's in the windows xp or vista world.

Since I am still going to connect my pc via a cat5 cable, I read that its not vulnerable. however, Im worry about my macbook, arghh its all just so confusing.

Can anyone offer some help or lead me to some guides that explain how to set up a secure network or a book anything.....thanx:confused:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
If you are using wires, do not worry.

If you are going wireless, use WPA2.

There are other ways of making a network more secure but that's my short n' fast way of getting a good, secure network with little-to-no hassle.

It is far easier to crack a WEP password or find a network without a password than crack a WPA network. Hiding the SSID doesn't add that much security. A MAC address filter is over the top.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Very first thing to do is to log onto your router and change the default administrator login and password. It don't matter what else you do for security if someone else remotely controls your router...
Gaah! Can't believe I forgot to say that!

Although you could always hard-reset the thing, you're right-- make sure that remote administration is disabled and change the password (and username if there is one). Such a small detail I forgot about it.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.