Help: Powerbook doesn't complete boot

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by McBain, Nov 17, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Hi all,

I just received a 12" Powerbook I bought off eBay. I was told that everything is fine with the computer, and the seller told me that he would be reinstalling the software.

I just got the computer, and it won't boot. When I start up the computer, it doesn't get past the first screen and stalls with the following error:

"You need to restart you computer. Hold down the Power button for several seconds or press the Restart button."

From a quick Google, it seems that this is a kernel panic (I don't know...is it?)

What do I do about it though?

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    reformat the machine. reinstall os x.

if that doen't fix it, you may have received a bogus machine.

3. thread starter macrumors member

I'd love to. But how do I reinstall if I get the error message as soon as I turn it on?

4. macrumors member

The seller should have sent a DVD or a CD with OSX and iLife and stuff on it. Insert the CD and restart the computer while holding the "C" key. then follow the menus to reformat. It's fairly easy if I remember correctly. Oh, and booting from the CD takes a long time, like 4-5 mins, so be patient...:) Good Luck!

5. thread starter macrumors member

Problem solved. I reseated the Airport Card and reinstalled all software. I'm posting from the PowerBook right now.

Thanks to all who replied.