Help: Powerbook G4 startup problems

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by TechnoPagan, Feb 10, 2006.

1. TechnoPagan macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2006
    I have a 2 year old Powerbook G4 that's having problems starting up. It stays on the grey startup screen for a long time, then eventually switches to a blank blue scren with the arrow cursor visible. The hard drive is making a hard grinding sound if I move it while it's booting.

I've rebooted multiple times. I've reset the PRAM. And panic is starting to set it. Help?
  2. iEric macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003

1) Insert the MAC OS X install discs that came with your PB.
    2) Restart
    3) It will bring you to the OS Installer.
    4) Quit the install, and at the menu bar, open up disk utility.
    5) Try fixing the HD.

It worked for me last it time when my Powerbook had problems somewhat similar to yours.
  3. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2006
    Unfortunately, when my house burned down in Nov 04, my disc wallet was destoyed. I am without startup discs for everything, including all the software (Office, Creative Suite, etc). Is there another way?

I can boot the computer to Target Mode, so I'm guessing all of my documents will be recoverable. I just really, really want to avoid buying a new computer until I can walk into the Apple Store in one month's time and buy the new MBP
  4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I know this is old, but my last windows laptop had a grinding noise while turning it on, among other things. This is most likely a SMART failure and you'll need a new harddrive.

Not worth the money to replace it if you're getting a MBP soon.
  5. TechnoPagan thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2006
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner! That's what it is :(

I ended up at the Apple Store near me on Friday night, left it with them, and had a call back Saturday morning. The replacement of the hard drive should be covered under AppleCare, but the stuff actually on the hard drive is gone. I may have to investigate Disk/Data Recovery. It's not the iTunes Library, it's not the Photo Library (although that's hurting a lot), it's not even the Gradebooks (though I'm in for a stern lecture tomorrow from my administrators when they find out). It's the 11 years of lesson plans and tests and quizzes and worksheets and activities and projects.

Let this serve as yet another lesson to backup your data. I know--I didn't think it would happen to me either. But *everything* is gone.