Help! Powerbook paint wearing off

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fullcircle, Aug 31, 2005.

1. fullcircle macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm new to the board. I have had my 12" Powerbook for almost 2 years and the paint where my hand rests is wearing off. I know I've seen an adhesive pad that goes on this area and around the scroll pad somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone know where I can find this product or something similar? Thanks so much.

2. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I know what you mean. The same thing has happened to my old Windows laptop. I had some simple ones too, they were useless as the sticky took more paint off, then stopped working so they would slide around under my wrists, making them useless.

Have you looked here though? Might be of some use to you!

Hope this helps. :)

3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Out of curiosity, why is it painted? My 2 year old 12" PB doesn' have paint...so far as I can tell. Mine is the albook, does the tibook use paint?

4. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Apparently some of them do use paint. :confused: There have been responses of it happening at PowerBook Central here.

I have found this site for you TiPaint.com. They sell a touch-up kit for the PowerBook G4. Looks perfect for the paint damage.

Hope this helps. :)

5. wide macrumors 6502a

tipaint is only for the titanium powerbook, which you do not have, fullcircle. if you use that you will not be happy with the result. the metal on your powerbook palmrests is probably wearing down. there have been many cases of powerbook discoloration in the palmrest areas, and no solutions that i know of.

grissom--there are many problems with the titanium (only in 15") powerbooks. the paint chips easily, the screen falls off, screen doesn't work etc. most of those problems were fixed in the aluminum models.

6. achtung! macrumors regular

i have had a friend with the exact same problem with the "paint" of the powerbook lifting off! The PB was under warranty, and they replace the entire frame around de keys with a brand new one!! apple said it was a problem with certain PB... :eek:

7. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ok, sorry. Worth a shot. :(

8. California macrumors 68040

California

My only solution is to buy a new palmrest and then keep the protective plastic piece over it. In fact, I cut the PB plastic down for my new Ibook. Keeps it clean. Need to cover up the trackpad, though. With the blue iSkin I've got on the keyboard, my ibook and Ti books are VERY clean. Any sort of safe adhesive backed plastic sheeting would probably do.

9. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

www.powersupportusa.com

I use them and like them. Some posters thought they were ugly. I've seen other posts that suggested using those clear Palm Pilot screen protectors instead, they might be cheaper. You can just cut them to fit and they are clear.

Attached Files: