help! powerbook problem

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by biohazard6969, Mar 30, 2005.

1. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

hey, ok, so i plugged my ipod shuffle into my 12" powerbook G4, and right away i got the warning message where the screen goes grey and it says "you need to restasrt your computer. hold down the power button for several sesconds or press the restart button" so i did, and ran an fsck on the bootup. once i finally got back up and running, i looked at activity monitor and it looked like this (see thumb) i think theres something wrong but i don't know wat, or wat to do about it, i found the file causeing all the blue bars, it was called kextcache, so i force quit it and restarted again, but it just came up again....help plz

Attached Files:

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

First of all run disk utility and check permissions to see if this clears up your problem.

Otherwise ascertain if "kextcache" is indeed the problem. Run the find command and set the search to search everywhere. Then add to the search parameters to include hidden items. Write down where the files are located since they are in a hidden directory removing "kextcache" may cause further problems. Then create a new folder to move "kextcache" to then restart and see if the problem persists. If it does or new problems develop return "kextcache" to its original location. Otherwise just archive it with stuffit.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Before removing "kextcache" which after looking at Apple technical documents may be very important try this.

Go to /System/Library/Extensions and delete iPodDriver.kext the extension may be damaged and deleting it works for clearing up some other iPod problems.

4. kg9ov macrumors member

Removing kextcache would most likely be very bad. From the kextcache(8) man page description:

I'm no Mac OS expert, but not being able to mount the root filesystem on a UNIX-like OS is a very, VERY bad thing...

-Tony