HELP! Powerbook wireless problem!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by undead-design, Oct 21, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006
    I just got a 17" Powerbook G4 1.5 Ghz. My friend that sold it to me said that her wireless always had a really weak signal but in recent time, unless she was in the same room as the router it was really hard to get a decent connection. She said she took it to an Apple store but her Apple care was expired and they said they'd have to send it out for 5-7 days. Today I just tried it out at home, where I normally (as well as everyone else in the house) have full signal from our router, this computer gets a bar or two max.

I was adding in some more RAM to it so I figured I'd take it the rest of the way apart. So, in doing so carefully because I could not find a diagram at all that matched this computer, I found that there is not a Airport Extreme card in the computer at all! So, since you guys know the answers, I have a few questions.

Is that right? Is the wireless built in now? (or maybe for that year)

Is this a common problem that the signal fades?

What can I do about this? this kinda sucks!

Any other suggestions!? :(

Thanks for reading...hopefully somebody else knows this same situation and I can figure something out!
  2. macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2006
    I am pretty sure that the wireless card is built it, well almost 100% sure. I have a powerbok G4 1.67 and the wireless / bluetooth is built in. I find that sometimes the signal dips down to 2 bars but that i am sure that is my router. Have you tried testing the powerbook on another router? There may also be a lot of interference from outside sources neer the computer or the router. check that.

Hope that Helps
  3. macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    You can take the card out but it sounds like maybe a loose antenna.