HELP Powerbook won't stay awake

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dummptyhummpty, Nov 17, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

In regards to my last post I called apple because my powerbook kept sleeping randomly. I would have it plugged in fully charged and it would just sleep while I was using it. We did all sorts of tests and resetting this and that and it was working fine. I thought maybe Application Enhancer was causing the problem. So all of a sudden it starts acting up today and it got so bad that it would sleep every 3 seconds or so. I finally pulled the battery and the power cord and it seems to be ok now. What can I do, I can't take this and I need to use this computer! Thanks!

2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. thread starter macrumors regular

The PMU, Disabled all my start up programs, ran the disk checker from the Tiger CD, disabled sleep, airport, bluetooth. It was fine for a week and all of a sudden it started acting up today. Oh I even re-calibrated the battery.

4. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is it the entire computer or just the display that's sleeping?

So, how's it getting its power? A different battery or adaptor or something?

Talk to Apple again? This is sounding pretty bad, sorry I can't be very helpful. :eek:

5. thread starter macrumors regular

The whole computer. Like every thing stops and the little sleep light comes on.

I reconnected everything. I just did that to turn it off.

I guess. I'll call them tomorrow.

6. macrumors G3

Counterfit

There's a switch by the display latch button that tells the PB to sleep when you close the lid. It's possible (probable?) that this is malfunctioning. Also, make a backup and reinstall Tiger, just to rule out (or fix ;)) any software issue.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Well I have it plugged into an external monitor so it is always closed. Do I have to erase all my programs to reinstall tiger or what? How do I do this?

8. macrumors 601

generik

You can do a archive and install using the OSX dvds that came with your machine.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I called apple again and we reset the NVRAM and something else ram related. Hopefully that works. He said if it doesn't I need to archive and install.

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors 6502a

Will Cheyney