Help! Powerboook 17inch problem

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Damien, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Damien macrumors regular

Mar 2, 2004
    I got my first mac three weeks ago! A 17" Powerbook!

However last nnight it started to slow down extreamly badly to the point of crashing all the while the hard drive was making a very very load whiring sound!

Its a bit better this mmoring but still a bit slow and some noise. E.G. Emptying the trash takes a while annd slows the whole thing down

Any ideas? other than sending my ppowerbook to appplecare
  2. HexMonkey Administrator

Staff Member

Feb 5, 2004
    New Zealand
    First try a few basic software things, repairing permissions in Disk Utility, creating a new user to see if that works etc. If none of this helps, it could be a problem with your hard disk, and you should back up asap if necessary (hopefully since it's so new, it won't have much important data on it).

I say this because a similar thing happened to my hard disk late last year. It started to act very slow, and the directory was getting corrupted or something like that. The more I wrote to the disk, the more it got corrupted. Unfortunately by the time I got to backing up the problem had gotten pretty bad. I did manage to get most of my data (a few files would not copy), but it tooks days to get (sometimes copying from the hard disk at less than 1 MB/hour). Once everything was backed up, I formatted the disk, with the option set for zeroing all data, then reinstalled the OS. The problem persisted. Eventually I had to get a new hard drive. Although this was an extreme case of this particular problem (at least it didn't completely fail before I backed up), it shows what can happen. In some cases you can just repair the disk from the install discs (try this first) or as follows to fix the problem (someone please correct me if some of this is wrong, I'm not very experienced with the command line and am giving this information second hand):

1. Restart your Mac.
    2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.
    3. Wait a few seconds for the # prompt.
    4. Type: "fsck -y".
    5. Press Return.
    6. If any problems are found (esp 'File system was modified'), repeat until they are fixed (if possible).
    7. Type: "reboot" to restart or "exit" to start up without rebooting, and press return.

If all this fails, AppleCare may be necessary.