Help!!! Powermac G5 Won't boot up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GlynJones, Jun 21, 2005.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Well my powermac arrived today. It's a refurb one and to start with the front base arch was bent. Apple said they would give me my money back put I thought I'd keep it.

Booted up and attached my Powerpook backup drive so that I could migrate/upgrade from another Mac. All went well until it rebooted.

It now keeps coming up with an error and the open CD-Rom button is not working so I can restore OSX.

If I could just get the Recovery CD up and boot from it then that would get me started.

Please help. I'm not having a good day. :(

2. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

Sounds like you got a dud. :(

Call Apple Support. :(

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm sure they didn't send it out like that. Sounds like shipping/packing damage! Just exchange it for another refurb.

4. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Right. I've got the CD in but it will not boot from the CD. I've held down the C key but it still boots from the hard drive.

Anyone?

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

sounds like a bad PowerMac.. call Apple and get it fixed! ;)

6. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

It looks like it was the Recovery CD. I put the Tiger CD in as it was a drop in copy (Thanks Apple) and it's installing from that.

I'll let you know how i get on.

7. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Up on Tiger now. Still undecided what to do about the machine wether to get a refund or stick with it.

The problem was caused by copying from my old machine. I did it twice with the same result. Will just have to set it up manually. Should not take me too long if I decide to keep it.

Most people think I should get rid but I saved over £500 on new. The only problem is a dent on the case foot arc and some grubby fingerprints inside the machine which will not come off.

So what should I do. I have a working machine now but should I keep it?