Help Pricing My Windows PC! Thanks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Moshiiii, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Greetings :D !

First off, sorry about posting a Windows PC question on a Mac site. Just that Mac owners here are ALOT smarter/reasonable than other PCboards. Im planning to sell this PC and hook my MBP up with TONS of useless gadgets! Heres the Specs:

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3ghz
    1gig of ram
    40gig harddrive
    Radeon 9600
    17" Sceptre LCD screen

It's got a ibuypower case so that includes four fans, tempature lcd display with control over the fans, and tons of flashy annoying lights. Its a year old and Ive never had a problem with it.

What should I be asking for this computer? Please no jokes like "Its windows, FREE!!" ect. ect. Thanks for the helpfull replies!

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

What kind of video card does your system have Moshiiii? This will help in trying to determine the value of your PeeCee. :)

With the given specs, I would say about $650-$800.

3. Moshiiii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Sorry thats a huge item i left out, I have a Radeon 9,600.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

850 does seem a bit high.

What you can do is go to Newegg and spec out the parts comprising your PC, and then perhaps take 30% off that figure to get your final expected pricing (seeing as to high it is old)

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No problem Moshiiii. :) With that video card (assuming 128MB VRAM) I would say that your computer's resale value is ~$700-$750.

Although, you should heed generik's advice- this should give you a good "ballpark" figure as to what your PC is worth. :)

6. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

I have it valued $500 tops given the lack of information provided.

Intel Pentium 4 3ghz 533/800/prescott ??
    Ram timings/brand/pc2700/3200/4200/etc ??
    HDD eide/sata/5400/7200/warranty ??
    Radeon 9600 BBA/128/256 ??
    Motherboard ??
    LCD condition/dead pixels ??

Take generik's advice. Use newegg or zipzoomfly and price it accordingly.
    And be very specific about the specs, there wasn't much to work off of.

7. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I'm actually thinking about selling my Windows box also... but if I do, I'd part it out and sell the items separately. That way I'll make more money on shipping. Just a suggestion. :)

8. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

Trade it for a box of Frosted Flakes and you'd make a nice profit :D

9. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

While a box of Frosted Flakes may be able to do more than a PeeCee, I believe that Moshiiii is looking for a fiscal reimbursement, not a breakfast cereal. ;) :)

10. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Any normal computer (eg a mac) I would say about 500-700 US but because its a PC id say about .99c jk lol, but aroung 650, 750 if your lucky

11. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

it is a lot less than you think. I bet even $500 is way to high... I almost could buy all that stuff new for that price...

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

My PC had similar specs, and when I tried to sell it to my friends for $200 like 6 months ago I couldn't get anyone to buy it.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's not bad, i'd say £400 in the UK, (so probably $600) It's *much* better than a bottom of the range Dell as its got a decent video card/RAM. The biggest weakness is it's 40GB Hard Drive, if you upgraded it to say 120-160GB or something it should add significantly to the value, I dunno if thats worth doing for computer users who don't want to open up the case themselves though.

14. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I agree... lack of specs on individual parts would help out a lot, in terms of helping you with pricing. I'd say at the most $500... I built my wife a system much better than yours a few months ago for under $700.

15. bah-bah'd macrumors regular

I have just been buying and selling. You will loose more money if you buy any new, larger drive to increase the value of the computer.

16. macpastor macrumors regular

macpastor

I think around $600 would be reasonable and fair for all parties

17. Moshiiii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry about that lack of information, I don't know much about computer parts. The 40gig Harddrive is a downside, but I bought it to just play PC games and 40gig has been plenty. So you guys are saying $500-700$ with monitor? Thanks!

18. Ryan T. macrumors 6502a

Ryan T.

With LCD *maybe* $500. Probably closer to $400. PC components these days are ridiculously cheap. I sold a similarly yet better spec'd PC recently with no monitor for $300.

19. Moshiiii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

Okay thanks! My two friends that wanted it were offering $750+, luckly I posted here or I would have ripped them off.

20. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

khisayruou

$750+

WOW! First Boot Camp, then Parallel, now selling a pc like this for 750+
    You are one helluva salesman my friend. :D

21. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

i would say that it would averaged at around $500 if you were lucky and that is if you were lucky, it is a custom made machine so it loses some of its "quality" appeal, just barely decent memory and hard drive and possibly outdated early p4 core that has high heat problems and may or may not have hyperthreading technology, the radeon 9600 has been out since before the first g5 computer and is only just barely decent and sceptre is allright, you might be able to grab an extra 100 if it is a p4 ht machine
    good luck, buy a mac

22. sixstorm macrumors regular

I just got done taking 3 weeks on selling my gaming rig. The best thing to do is to sell your parts seperatly (at least 40% off of retail, depending on how old the parts are) and make the buyers pay for shipping. Also, Paypal is your buddy! Even if they take forever to transfer money through bank accts!!!

23. lonelemur90 macrumors member

lonelemur90

u could probably get a bit moreif you put in a bigger hard drive, seeing as that is a respectable processor. i would reccommend around 160 gigs.

24. Moshiiii thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii