[HELP] Problem when installing OS X 10.4.5 Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by baummer, Feb 14, 2006.

1. baummer macrumors 6502a

I have a iBook G4, and when I went to update, I ran into a problem. It downloaded the components just fine, and then it installed. But, it stayed on "Optimizing System Performance" for close to 2 hours without doing anything. So, I held the power button until it shut off and then turned it back on. Now, when loading it back up, I could not access the internet. It's like it didn't install correctly. How can I revert back to where I was/restart the update process? Any assistance is greatly appreciated..I have a presentation tomorrow and require the internet to do so! Thanks again.

2. frenetic macrumors regular

And if that doesn't work you can just do an archive and install, only takes 30 minutes or so and it keeps your apps and user files intact.

3. baummer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, this worked once I was able to get it across by connecting my mini to it! :)

4. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Shutting software updates down part way is a bad, bad thing. I screwed my partition tables once doing that and had to burn stuff to a CD in the two minutes that my Mac could stay turned on, and then format. I think you're in a friendlier situation though; try installing the combo update a second time, or archive-and-installing if that's necessary.

5. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I had a problem with "optimizing system performance" taking way too long.
    Shutdown and restarted system; never could get back to the desktop.
    Reinstalled 10.4 + combo updater and seems to be working fine now.