Help - Problem with Dual Monitor Set up iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Xastion, Dec 20, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 20, 2008
    A few months ago I bought my first iMac, the 2.8GHz version. I am thrilled with this computer. Last night I received an early Christmas gift - a Samsung SyncMaster T260 monitor. I also received the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter cable to connect the two. It was set up for me and when it first was turned on I noticed that despite working fine the image on the Samsung had an extreme blue tint to it and the reds weren't displaying properly. I adjusted the image to the best I could though the image still appeared a little heavy on the blue. The iMac went into sleep mode and when I came back the iMac turned on just fine, but the Samsung only flickered intensely for a minute and then went black. After restarting it displayed an error "Check Cable Signal" and no matter what I have tried I can't get it to redisplay any image when it is connected to the iMac.

I have tested the monitor on a PC and it is fine and displays properly which makes me believe that there's an issue between the iMac and the monitor or the adapter and the displays.

I have Google'd for an idea, I have searched Apple's web site, and I have searched these forums and I am coming up empty handed. The closest I have come is finding on the Apple Store's reviews that many people had been complaining about how easily some of the Mini-DVI to DVI adapters break, but I am skeptical that an adapter can break this fast and I really want to try finding as much information now before making unnecessary trips to the store especially with a winter storm on it's way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
    Have you checked the adapter by wiggling the cable, just to see if there is a broken or loose connection?
  3. macrumors 6502

May 19, 2008
    I also vote for a bad adapter. I've got a 22" Samsung hooked up to my iMac and have none of the problems you encountered.