Help! Problem with Ibook Cd Drive???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Cinestoph, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Cinestoph macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hi Guys,

I've been a happy Apple owner (2 Ibooks) for years and never had a problem until tonight.
    I bought 2 new music Cds (that I made sure work perfectly in a regular cd player) and they will not load up onto my desktop. When I first popped in my brand new, New Order Cd it just sat in my drive and would neither eject or mount on my desktop. Only when I shut down and rebooted was I able to eject the CD.
    I then tried again and my ibook sputtered and tried to make the CD spin and then it proceeded to eject the CD. I figured there must be a defect with the Cd so I tried out the brand new Green Day Cd I bought and the Ibook tried and spit that one out too. So this is when I got worried my drive was broken so I grabbed several old cds I have already ripped into Itunes. Here's the weird part - all the old music cds loaded up perfectly and launched Itunes as usual.
    The new Cds I bought were: New Order (Waiting for Sirens to Call) and a CD called Green Day International Super Hits.
    So now i'm wondering - do these new Cd's have some anti-ripping protection that I have not heard about??? I tried to do a google search but found no info about this. I mean - if I can't rip these onto my computer to listen on my Ipod - what's the point of ever buying a physical cd again???
    Thanks for any help or ideas!!!

Frustrated in California,

2. Cinestoph thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2005
    I forgot to mention that I have an Ibook 1.33 G4 with a Combo drive and OS 10.3.9

Thanks again.

3. john_satc macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2005
    B'ham Uk
    Some CDs do have anti - piracy things meaning they don't work on comps, my Justin Timberlake album doesn't work in any computer in the house.

Try loading the disks on another computer.

Feel lucky yours works on a stereo, one of my albums refuses to work in my CD player which is bloody annoying