HELP: problem with widescreen 16:9

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macdidilin, Sep 12, 2006.

1. macdidilin macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006
    I use imovie to quick edit videos often.

I just got a JVC MG57 and I am having problem retain the aspect ratio for wide screen. When I shoot 16:9 and covert .mod to .dv by using ffmpegx, the video becomes all stretched. Is there any quick fix to this? Please advise!

Mpeg streamclip isn't free!?!? It asks me to update and purchase mpeg2 playback component. Any comments?

2. funwithstuff macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    That's not a problem, it's what correctly formatted (anamorphic) widescreen video looks like -- everything thin and tall. Editing software and DVD creation software should be able to detect anamorphic widescreen footage and correct the aspect ratio on playback.
  3. PalmHarborTchr macrumors member

Feb 26, 2003
    JVC Camcorders

I can tell you from my experience w/JVC digital camcorders...they suck badly...probably the worst camcorder out there. I have had two and hate both of them. Only one works. If you can I would bring it back and get a Sony like you should have done in the first place but let me guess. the JVC was cheaper. Right?
  4. macdidilin thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006

Thx for the reply!

Are you sure about the it tho? But how come iMovie doesn't recognize it?

Since everio MG57 records in mpeg2 files (.mod), I have to transform to .dv so iMovie is able to read. When importing .dv file to iMovie, it looks like the clip is strectched out vertically and remains 4:3. I tried it several times... but dont know where the problem is.

I think maybe the software that transform .mod to .dv has fixed the aspect ratio? Is there ways to change it? Which software is the best? I am using ffmpegx.

Dave :confused: