HELP! problems installing my airport extreme card in eMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by apwatson5, Jun 14, 2004.

1. apwatson5 macrumors newbie

Okay, I bought an airport extreme card for my emac and the directions are pretty easy, but when I slide the card in logo down, it goes in much futher than the diagrams show. The clear tab is not even reachable. So I try to push it in with a flat head screwdriver. It won't pop into place. To make matters worse, I decided to just take the shell off and go from there, but one of my hex bolts that holds the shell on is stripped, so I can't get that off. doh. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS
    Andrew

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

1)put the card thingy into the slot
    2)connect the wire thing to the airport card thingy
    3)turn computer on(assuming it was off in the first place)
    4)download p0rn. WIRELESSLY!!!!!!

you stripped the wires on the shell thing? that sux, if you have to open the shell thing, use a hammer or prefreably a plasma torch.

if all else fails, read the frekin manuel!!!

3. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Try again

The plastic tab should be just barely sticking out past the (dark plastic) bezel when the card is inserted properly.

The card so only go so far into the computer and should "snap" into place. At which point you should tuck the plastic tab over the antenna wire and under the AirPort card.

It will all be a bit "inside" the computer, past the front bezel.

The diagrams most likely show the card *almost* all the way in. You simply push it in as far as it can go without excessive force - there is a connector back there and it will stop the card when inserted properly.

And you should never start disassembling anything more than what the instructions say. You now see why you should leave all the pieces in place with your MIA screw.

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Which eMac have you got? If it's an earlier model it needs a standard airport card, a mistake I made.... :rolleyes:

If you have a 700 or 800, you can't use the Extreme, send it back and get the standard one, it slots straight in.