Help!!!!!! Programs Crashing Left Right And Centre!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dancertom3, Feb 1, 2007.

1. dancertom3 macrumors member

All my apps are crashing repeatedly!!!!

Firefox, MSN, iChat, iTunes, iPhoto are the worst offenders!!

I'm on a brand new MBP 15" 2.33ghz core 2 duo with 2gb ram and a 160Gb 5400rpm harddrive, plus a 160Gb firewire 800 external LaCie drive!

What's going on??? I always have multiple programs running, but it seems like if one's working, the other's crashing. Even when the only things running are MSN and iChat, they both still crash.

I don't understand! This is my first mac...had it for 2 days now...is this typical? I only thought that Windows did this sort of thing...

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

3. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

Nope...Apple-bought ram...installed by apple too..

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hmm, on one of the disks that came with the machine there should be a program that checks through all the hardware for faults. I can remember it's exact name. Might be worth running through that to see if anything shows up.

5. gavd macrumors 6502a

That sort of thing definitely isn't typical.

Might be worth doing a reinstall of OS X.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, no OS (neither Windows, OSX or any form of Unix) can prevent a poorly coded app from crashing; but if it's happening as frequently as you say, it sounds like a hardware problem.

If you get one of those dialogs to send an error report, perhaps try copying the text into a post here and we can take a look?

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

This behavior is most certainly *not* normal, and does pang of bad RAM. No one, even Apple, is immune from shipping (or installing) bad RAM. If there's an Apple Store near you, I'd take it in to them and reproduce the problem and let them take a look at it.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since this is your first Mac:

Find Disk Utility in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder and start it.

Select Macintosh HD and click Verify Disk and check the results and then, click Verify Permissions and check the results.

Also, have you run Software Update? There may be fixes that you may need to download. You should run it repeatedly until it shows no more updates.

9. fireplace macrumors member

^^what he said. i'm a bit of a newbie, only getting into my mac now but having had it for over a year.

i put in ilife '06 today and had a few very small problems. i did the basics as were told to me a while ago and all was fine after.

software update, shut down and restart, repair permissions (use finder to get disk utility). that should cover software glitches - if its still going a bit 'jar jar binks' then my money is on the RAM too.

10. Angrist macrumors 6502

My money is on bad / misseated RAM.

Nothing else I've ever encountered behaves the same way.

Next time something crashes, view the crash report (should be on the "un-expectedly quit" dialog that pops up), and copy it to the thread.

11. dancertom3 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the help!

I did the Disk Utility..everything's in working order.

Conveniently, nothing has crashed since I posted this thread! That's always the way...

Maybe it was just doing too many things at once, especially with iPhoto trying to handle 10,000+ images...

If it happens again, I'll post the crash report here...

12. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

i had a similar problem with my PowerMac G5 about a year ago and after doing all the ram check and this and that and OS reinstall, it turned out to be either a Faulty Motherboard (logicboard) or Processor. Once swapped out, everything was superb again