Help! (quad)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flinstone, Apr 20, 2006.

1. flinstone macrumors member

My Quad crashes when booting! installed a new system on a formatted drive and when i started up again a grey screen with a view languages tell me to restart my computer. when i do so the same thing happens again. I did a hardware test and all was OK. Please help. (system worked fine for 2 months 24/7. it's only that old!!!!)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You had a kernel panic. Have you made any recent changes to the system in terms of hardware or software? :)

3. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

4. asencif macrumors 6502

Yes do try to zap the PRAM first. Have you added any additional RAM lately or other hardware like a PCI E card or external drive, USB flash drive...etc? If no then you could be looking at a possible bad Hard Drive and if not then logic board issue. You could try another hard drive to run the OS from and see if it helps.

5. flinstone thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all. I zapped the p-ram and did a reset-all in open firmware.:mad:
    I Removed the striped raid and rebuild it again. this went troublesome (it took two hours+). Rebooted of the cd to instal a new system:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
    NOW THE SYSTEM EVEN HANGS WHEN BOOTING FROM CD!!!!!!!!!!!

6. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Oh dear - maybe you could call Apple and they can run through a few things with you. Do you have non - Apple supplied ram?

7. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Try removing any new ram and PCI E cards etc that you have installed and then run the hardware test disk. So you just have the Apple ram installed whilst running the test. Then install the other ram and test again.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- sounds like bad RAM. It's happened to me before. Thank God it was only a 256 chip.