Help!!! .rar files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ShayanAgha, Mar 21, 2007.

1. ShayanAgha macrumors newbie

Hi,
    i've recently purchased an apply macbook pro.

Is it possible to run files with a " .rar " extension on this machine?>

if yes... could somebody guide me!
    thanks

2. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Definately the best choice.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

As an alternative that opens a lot more than RAR files, you might like The Unarchiver.

4. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I was going to suggest it, added plus is you can probably uninstall stuffit, unless you are heavy into .sitx files.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Bah....StuffIt needs to go away. Does anyone really come across a lot of .sitx files anyway?

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

.zip, though loathed by mac users years ago, has given way and become a defacto standard.

.sit isnt as supported in Windows, AFAIK.

making .zip, all the better.

7. phidauex macrumors member

Another vote for Unarchvier. UnRarX works fine, but it only does RAR files, and it is basically a front-end for a command line tool. Not that that's bad or anything, its just that Unarchiver really has a mac-like feel, and nicely integrates with the OS. I don't even notice that its there anymore, doing its thing, opening my archives.

-sam

8. pengu macrumors 6502a

definitely go with TheUnarchiver. unfortunately it has an issue with password protected stuffit files, but otherwise its a champ.

stuffit has a windows version (of the deluxe too) but i lost my love for stuffit when osx included zip/gzip/bzip/tar extraction, and yet stuffit INSISTED on changing my associations every time it opened.

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yeah - apps that take over things like that make me INSANE. That's the reason I'll never, under any circumstances, install RealPlayer. If I can only watch a video that's in the real format, tough, I'll just not watch it.

10. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i didn't realize stuffit was so hated. is there a reason for this?

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

^^ That's the reason I hate it.

Also, for a little while, they were shipping StuffIt with a contextual menu item that crashed the Finder--that was brilliant. However, I mostly don't like them because I find their product to be irrelevant. The .sitx filetype doesn't provide much value over things like .rar or .zip, so what's the point?

12. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

well to me it has gotten bloated and then the move from compressed files to disk images when we went from Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X, sorta made sit and sitx pointless, plus Mac OS X has built in compression utilities.

*edit oh yeah and the contextual menu item that crashed the Finder that epochblue mentions above. lol oh those days...

13. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

Ditto here... I can't think of the last time I've watched/listened to anything w/ Real Player...probably not since the late '90's!! I do use Stuffitt, as I'm new to OS X I thought that was pretty much my only freeware choice to archive/unpack pretty much everyhting I'll run into. Haven't run into any issues so far, so I guess I'll keep using it...