Help !! reactivating trackpad on g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by prosonic, Mar 27, 2006.

1. prosonic
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I own a powerbook g4 and I love it. I just bought a second one(for my wife), it is used, from the teenage son of a friend. He somehow disabled the trackpad, so he could use a usb connected mouse. Does anyone know how to reactivate the trackpad?

When I go to system prefs keyboard/mouse, I don't have trackpad as an option, instead I have only mouse as an option.

I would really like to restore to macs default setting of using the trackpad with the option to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is connected.

2. OutThere
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

OutThere

When you turn off the trackpad, it always stays available in the system preferences to turn back on...it could be a corrupted preferencepane, however.

Might want to try asking him what exactly he did before going further.

3. Anonymous Freak
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Plus, it only disables the trackpad when an external mouse is present. If you unplug the external mouse, the trackpad should turn back on.

4. prosonic
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, that's what has me confused. In my prefs window I ONLY have Keyboard/Mouse/Bluetooth/Keyboard Shortcuts...No trackpad option even when USB mouse is disconnected.

I have erased the HD and installed OSX fresh but that didn't help either. Is this possibly a firmware issue?

5. Anonymous Freak
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Sounds like it. You should have a Trackpad 'tab'. Time to call Apple.

6. mad jew
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator emeritus

mad jew