Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prosonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
I own a powerbook g4 and I love it. I just bought a second one(for my wife), it is used, from the teenage son of a friend. He somehow disabled the trackpad, so he could use a usb connected mouse. Does anyone know how to reactivate the trackpad?

When I go to system prefs keyboard/mouse, I don't have trackpad as an option, instead I have only mouse as an option.

I would really like to restore to macs default setting of using the trackpad with the option to ignore the trackpad when a mouse is connected.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
When you turn off the trackpad, it always stays available in the system preferences to turn back on...it could be a corrupted preferencepane, however.

Might want to try asking him what exactly he did before going further.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Plus, it only disables the trackpad when an external mouse is present. If you unplug the external mouse, the trackpad should turn back on.

prosonic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Actually, that's what has me confused. In my prefs window I ONLY have Keyboard/Mouse/Bluetooth/Keyboard Shortcuts...No trackpad option even when USB mouse is disconnected.

I have erased the HD and installed OSX fresh but that didn't help either. Is this possibly a firmware issue?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
prosonic said:
Actually, that's what has me confused. In my prefs window I ONLY have Keyboard/Mouse/Bluetooth/Keyboard Shortcuts...No trackpad option even when USB mouse is disconnected.

I have erased the HD and installed OSX fresh but that didn't help either. Is this possibly a firmware issue?

Sounds like it. You should have a Trackpad 'tab'. Time to call Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.