help: real or windows media player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skipperchong, Mar 4, 2005.

1. skipperchong macrumors newbie

if I have a choice between real or windows media player for my osx system, which do I choose? it seems a step backwards to use wmp and the newest real player wigged out my most recent win2k machine. it's for streaming audio that quicktime doesn't quite support.

thanks in advance.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Oh, come on! MacOS X is not Windows 2000. There is no law that says that you cannot have Real and Windows Media Player 9 on your Mac at the same time. Do what I did. Get both.

3. brap macrumors 68000

I'd just like to add, Real Player for Mac - the current version - is a shockingly good product. Not something I expected from Real.

4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Won't VLC do all that you want? Seems to work fine for all my needs and its just one program instead of downloading two.

5. brap macrumors 68000

VLC plays neither Windows Media Video, nor Real Media, what with them both being licensed proprietary technologies. It's hardly a fix for streaming the news from the BBC, either.

Great app for everything else, though. MPlayer's tendency to switch desktop resolution to target is quite, quite annoying.

6. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

hmm.. the last time i tried, windows media player couldn't even play windows media files. :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

7. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Oh, come on! Windows 2000 is not MS-DOS. There is no law that says that you cannot have Real and Windows Media Player on your PC at the same time.

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

You afraid you might start a war on your hard drive between the two faction?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with either Real or Windows Media Player on MS-DOS. The next time that you defend Windows, be sure to attack the person who actually said something bad about it. I did not. If you contend that my statement that MacOS X is not Windows 2000 disparages Windows 2000, I am willing to accept your contention. Afterall, you would know better than I.

Back to my point. In his post that started this thread, skipperchong stated that "the newest real player wigged out my most recent win2k machine." It was he who has the Windows 2000 machine and it was he who has the problem. The fact that Windows 2000 is not MS-DOS not withstanding.

10. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I have Real Player and Windows Media Player installed. Window Media Player is a pile of pants but it's the only thing that plays most WMV video (luckily I don't need to view it that often).

Real Player, on the other hand, is a decent piece of software for Mac OS X and it even plays QuickTime files. In fact, in some ways, it's actually better than QuickTime Player (although this will change with Tiger and QT7 I'm pretty sure).

11. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

You can have both. In fact, I think you need both.

12. skipperchong thread starter macrumors newbie

it just feels conceptually odd. conflicted, somehow.

13. skipperchong thread starter macrumors newbie

yah, I was hoping for an alternative not windows media player, but you make do with what's available. thanks.

14. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

See post #2. You're the one who said "OS X isn't Windows 2000", implying that you cannot somehow have both players in Windows. I was simply replying to that.

However, I didn't see the "wigged out" statement the first time though. And "wigged out" doesn't mean much to me, it's the first time I've heard that expression.

In any case, I stand corrected. And yes, RealPlayer isn't something you want to install on a Windows system. I may hate Microsoft, but I hate RealNetworks even more. :mad:

15. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Just steer away from any website that doesn't offer a Quicktime option. :D

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

...and lose out on the Little Britain clips on the BBC3 site? no thanks :D