HELP!!! RECALIBARTING MAC G5!!!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by joser, Sep 25, 2004.

1. joser macrumors newbie

computer boots up fine than the fans kickup...mac support said to have my fans recalibrated again on the mac g5 ....so does anyone know how to do this? thanx in advance.... :confused:

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If it's like the G5 towers [edit: oh, it is a tower, huh?] you need a futility program that's only distributed to Apple service shops :(

3. jestershinra macrumors regular

Yes, the above poster is correct.

The CD which calibrates the fans is called Apple Service Diagnostic. It is available only to Apple Certified Technicians. Calibration, however, is very simple, and can probably be done while you wait.

Also, and I know I'm not a Mod (mods, if this is out of line, please edit my post accordingly), SHOUTING is generally discouraged. It won't get your question answered any faster, and just annoys many people.

4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

does anyone know of a way to do this on an imac g4 without that cd?
    i think my fans are too loud...

thanks,
    reality

5. jestershinra macrumors regular

I don't think so. There is an ASD for the iMac G4's (actually, there are 2 or 3..different models) but I don't remember seeing a calibration option in it...you might need to call Apple on this one.

And, if the ASD does calibrate, it isn't something a non-tech can do. It's strictly ACDT work.

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

well, does anyone have any suggestions for my fan noise on the imac g4???
    it's been getting on my nerves a lot lately... i would go to an apple store, but the closest is a bit over an hour away... and my warranty ends this week... and i'd have to convince my parents to drag me out there...

would it be possible that a reinstall would help? isn't there some ram on the motherboard that i can reset (NVRAM)???? would that make a difference...

reality

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Have you been doing work lately that uses the CPU alot? Maybe folding or SETI? Games? Video Editing?

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

it's been this loud since the day i got it... i think there's something wrong because people always describe it as quiet... and i wouldn't quite call this hum quiet...

reality