Help! Remote access to my imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonnops, Aug 19, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm a complete newbee to this, but i want to access my imac in the office from my macbook. How do i do this and what details do i need from my imac

2. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

You have several ways...

Apple remote desktop (can buy it app store); maybe a it overkill, but why not

teamViewer, an application also works on iPad and iPhone

LogMeIn (don't have any experience with)

VNC

What connection you have in office; a company LAN, a smal dial up connection ?Would make is easier if you describe the setup a bit more detailed.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers for that,

company LAN, basic only one Imac at the moment going through a transition of switch to mac's

4. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

In that case TeamViewer might be nice as it could go through (simple) firewall; but you should still check with your IT guys; they might have an opinion on that. TeamViewer would route via a third party server. If you connect to company computer it's also not free. But I think hey have also a test version.
    Basically you would need to start a little program on the iMac which would give you a random number as key. Then you start the viewer on the MB and enter that number. After that you can remote control the iMac.