Help removing unblock-us virus/malware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by falloutmike, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,
    First off I'm not that much of a tech savy person. I know basics but that is about it.
    I have gotten a virus/or malware on my mac (running 10.6.8)
    whenever I try to goto amazon it brings me to the unblock-us website (I can post it here, but I dont know if that is bad for you all to click on)
    I have downloaded clamxav and protectmac antivirus and both came up with nothing.
    Please help!

2. simsaladimbamba

Unblock-Us is a VPN service, not malware, unless you talk about a different "unblock-us".

Maybe use the following methods to find "unblock-us":

To find system files via Finder, that can't be found via Spotlight:

As for malware:

Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
    To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

This should be of interest too, from the above Malware FAQ: Why am I being redirected to other sites?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Well whenever i try to goto amazon.com i get redirected to unblock-us . com
    how do i delete the malware that is redirecting me to this website

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not malware. Clear your browser cache and cookies. If you haven't already done so, try changing your DNS servers on your Mac and your router to OpenDNS servers. This will show you how: Why am I being redirected to other sites?