Help request: usng aiport inside with no signal-60ft away outside there is a signal

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by chameleoanglicu, Dec 8, 2003.

1. chameleoanglicu macrumors newbie

Hey

I have a 12" mac G4 powerbook and I'd like to get wireless acces in my apt. In our institution we have access to a closed wireless network just round the corner from my appartment. I have no signal inside my apartment, but outside my apt and round the corner, about 50ft away, there is a signal by one of the walls. This outdoor area is semi-private.

My question is: is there a (ideally non-powered) way for me to route the signal from the outdoor wall to inside my appartment. I'm thinking of basically an antenna with a long cable that I can run along the wall and connect somehow to my mac. Obviously I should get an airport extreme card, right? Or should I buy a 3rd party card with a connector for an external antenna cable? I've thought about putting an airport extreme basestation by the wall, the problem is I dont like leaving that kind of hardware outdoors. If push came to shove don't mind my mac being connected to a cable for this 'wireless' experiment.

Enclosed is a picture of the situation.

Thanks for your help!

PSL

Attached Files:

2. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

best people to ask about airport would be apple. I have gotten questions answered about stuff that no longer under applecare. just depends on the person you get. most of them are like us here. they are mac people and want to help other mac people when in need.

anyway, my point is that apple knows airport better than anyone.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Probably you need some sort of amplifier for the signal. When you try to catch the signal outside your appartment and try to bring it inside, it will leave you no signal at all.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You should peek in on this thread for information about cantennas and stuff like that. Sounds like you need a directional antenna. Should be easy enough if you have a little soldering skill.