Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
To start with, I'm an idiot - hopefully this will eliminate any additional slams...

QUESTION:
HOW DO I RESET THE BASE STATION AND THE IMAC TO DEFAULTS FOR BOTH CONCERNING THE WIRELESS NETWORK?

Details:
I got my new iMac with the Airport2.

Connected the Airport Base to my Cable modem. Configured it using the iMac and OS X Aiport Network Assistant (or something like that, just know it wasn't the Airport Administration program).

Everything worked fine, but I always take things a step further.

I wanted to ensure a secure network and a fast network.

So I setup the Airport 2 Base Station to:
A. have manually configured IP addresses (I set the addresses),
B. use the full 11 megabits of bandwith,
C. made it a Closed Network

I set the Network properties to reflect the Airport Manual configuration for the IP addresses, but forgot the Router IP address.

Therein lies the problem. I cannot get to the Airport2 Base Station to see or change the IP addresses.

All the documentation says that I can "simply" connect to a Closed Network by using the Airport Adminsitrator.

But if you don't have the exact IP address, you're screwed.

I've reset the Base Station and tried to get at it within the 5 minutes alotted with the "public" password. But the password isn't the problem.

Please, please, please help!!

Thanks,
Quark

To the one that gives me the correct info. first, I will buy and send them one of the following (your choice), all of these come directly from Quarks Bar on the Deep Space 9 Promenade:
1. a six-pack of "Romulan Ale"
2. a bottle of Trill Wine
3. a bottle of Sacred Chalice of Rixx Wine
4. a bottle of Klingon Blood Wine
5. a bottle of El Aurian Wine

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
The quickest solution is KB 106602. There's a reset button in a little hole on the back panel of your base station. Resets the whole thing to factory default settings.

Quark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Thx, I see something new!

I tried that already,

BUT

All the documentation that I have did not show how to do the "Hard" reset. I also searched the Apple Support site on another computer and didn't see this document. I obviously wasn't searching right or looking at the right thing.

The link to the document you posted has the "Hard" reset information on it.

It looks like that is it. I will try it out tonight.

If it works, I'll send you an e-mail and let you know, then we can work out which of the five items I mentioned earlier, you want.

Thanks!!!:D

Quark

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2002
Go It Working!!

Thank you for the link. It contained additional information that I wasn't aware of and it contained another link to a document that was needed to complete the 'Hard' reset.

Thank you again;)

I sincerely appreciate the assistance.

Let me know what you want from the list. Or if you feel more comfortable, I think I can get a gift certificate for you at Quarks (not sure though).

Take Care:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.