Help: Resetting/Unmounting 5G iPod Video takes 12 minutes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Phuz01, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Phuz01 macrumors member

I recently upgraded from a 3G iPod to the 5G iPod video. I love everything about it except it takes 12 minutes for the hard drive to stop spinning and unmount during syncs, and 12 minutes to reboot after a reset.

I tried doing a restore, and I scanned for the Windows virus, but neither improved the situation. Nobody on the Apple message boards was able to come up with a solution; I'm quite concerned about all this unnecessary wear on the hard drive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. rmarasa macrumors member

3. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

As nobody was able to help here or on the Apple forums, I took the next step and contacted Apple service. As it turns out, some 5G hard drives are faulty, and the exaggerated boot/unmount time is the symptom.

They suggested I either send it in for service or (because I live in a city with an Apple Store) to take it into the Genius Bar, where they will replace it.

Good luck with yours, rmarasa.

4. mannix87 macrumors 6502

what computers are you using? the mounting/unmounting times are usually dependent on the processing speed of the host computer. thus, whenever I use my old PC w/ my video iPod, it takes around 5 mins each time. but when I use a Mac or a PC w/ at least 512mb processors, the mounting time is much less;just a few seconds.

5. dwishbone macrumors regular

you wouldnt happen to be using an older Lexmark printer would you?
    i have this problem, but only when the Lexmark Print Monitor is started.
    It should be listed as a startup item on your user account. i have it disabled by default since it starts up whenever the lexmark printer is used anyway. once im done i have to kill the process using the terminal.
    it seems to adversely effect the mounting/unmounting and sometimes the launching of applications. ive tried updating, but there is no update for my model for Tiger.
    when using top that monitor can take anywhere from 70-90% cpu power for a Dual 2ghz G5. what the hell could that thing be doing?