help restoring applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by excalibur313, Feb 3, 2007.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

So I'm probably going to hear a bunch of I told you sos but a friend of mine couldn't remove adium and after trying all the other options i told her to do a remove file command in terminal. Well she deleted her whole applications folder. Is there a way to get that back or should I just have her put in her system restore cd?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Okay, so this makes things more complicated but she doesn't have her dvds and we are not even in the same state. She tried to copy over firefox from a friend (the universal program from her friends powerbook) (my friend has a mbp) and it didn't work. Are there programs in the utilities folder that are required to run firefox? The plan was that if she could use that to get pando, I could send her everything I have in my applications folder (well the things that come standard with the mac.) Oye...this reminds me of the days of running windows 98 and having catastrophic failures like this.

EDIT:I know she will have to reinstall the system but she probably won't be able to get her hands on DVDs until I mail mine to her so all she really needs is a browser and office.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Did she have Firefox previously installed on her system? If not, there are probably some support files that are needed that she's missing by just copying the app. She could have her friend download the full Firefox installer disk image and move that to her machine to do a full install of the app.

Your plan might work, but it makes me pretty uncomfortable...she really needs to do a full reinstall from her installation discs in order to ensure that everything works properly.

Edit: Where are her discs? It is a violation of your license to send her your discs for use on her machine.

5. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Oh really? We both have the same model of macbook pro. She is at school and they are at her house but her parents are on a trip until the end of the week and won't be able to send them until then. Sorry, I didn't realize I was proposing something illegal.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity when I do go to restore with the cds, it doesn't wipe the drive right? It just will install programs as it sees fit and replace any missing files.