Help:Rev D Powerbook can not connect to campus wireless

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by elevenpower, Apr 28, 2005.

1. elevenpower macrumors newbie

What's up guys, hopefully someone can help me out.

I have a Rev D Powerbook. It works fine with the Linksys 802.11g wireless setup in my house. But on my college campus where we have a wireless network consisting of cisco boxes (which i thought were the same as linksys), it won't connect at all. It won't even recongize the network. Students who have the school issued IBM Thinkpad and other PC notebooks are able to connect. Do you think there is something wrong with my wireless card? Or is there something i'm not doing?

Thanks

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

doesn't see the network. probably because SSID Broadcasting is off on the routers. It's a good thing for people snooping on the network, they can't "see" the network unless they know the SSID. Which the school can probably give you, or one of your buddies.

1. Click the airport icon in the upper right corner
    2. Other...
    3. Type the network name in
    4. if they provide a WEP/WPA/etc password, type it in
    5. Click ok

that should do it for ya. My suggestion is going into your Network preferences area in System Preferences, and creating a location for school and one for home, that way if your school requires a proxy you can set that up on the school location, and not try to use it at home or what have you.

give that a shot, if it doesn't work post back.

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Go to the campus help desk (assuming they have one) and ask for help. At my university, most of the campus wireless networks use 802.1x authentication, which works well on Macs (better than on Windows in fact), but can be a little tricky to get set up. That's just an example, your campus may be different. In any case, the people best able to help you are going to be the people responsible for the network.

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Before you try all that, download a little program called AirStumbler. It can find networks that the airport selector can't (like multiple networks with the same name). I use it all the time, great little ap.

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah I've been using that for a little while now. It's really easy to find networks. It got me thinking though, it is legal, isn't it? I can't see how it wouldn't be, but it just seems like the sort of thing that Apple would have written into the OS if it was totally above board.