Help: Revealing "asterisk" password in PPP account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ahbo, Aug 9, 2005.

1. ahbo macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    In the System Preferences (and the Internet Connect app) I have my ISP account entered including the password which is saved in there. I forgot what this password is and I need to tell it to someone. Getting in touch with the ISP is a hassle. Is there a way to reveal this password? It does not show up in the Keychain Manager.

UPDATE: Solved! See post below.
  2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    well if it is auto typing your password for you it should be in keychain access i would think. When you go into keychain it isn't going to show the password till you authorize it to. you will have to select the certain entry and double click. You should get a window and the very last item on the bottom of the info window should be the show password. It will ask you for your user password and the password should be show in clear text.
  3. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    Hi Benjamin. I'm familiar with using Keychain for retrieving passwords and it is definitely not in there. It's not in the list.
  4. ahbo thread starter macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    I solved it! I simply used Internet Connect to add a new account, which at first simply duplicates your old account information. Upon doing that, this new duplicate account did get added to Keychain Access and I was able to retrieve the password there.