Help reviving Oscar The Grouch in The Dock!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bennetsaysargh, May 13, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

I am trying to make many people (including myself) happy by re-viving Oscar the Grouch in the trash can. I know where the files for the trash images are, so all i need is someone to help me with a few things.

1)Good, high quality pictures of Oscar The Grouch (in his trash can)

2)Someone who can get the sound to play whenever something is put into the trash can. Probably scripting of some sorts.

3)Sound bytes of Oscar (I might have some somewhere)

4)A few suggestions and words of encouragement!

Thanks for any help!

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

There shall be no poets in our republic, yet I hear one speak.
    I think you can get people enthused, but you may have to go beyond this board.

Perhaps you are going about this the wrong way. For OS 9.0 there is a program called Burn (not the one that erases the entire HD). Aside from providing a way to do a security delete (alternating passes of 1’s and 0’s) it acted like a trash can. Perhaps a new app would be easier to design. Somebody on this board was looking for a project that people would pay 2 cents for, I pay a couple of bucks for this app.

Perhaps a script needs to be created that does an animation of Oscar doing his trash dance while at the same time sending the material to the trash. Forget about animating the icon, instead provide the animation. Just a different way of thinking.

As for the sound. Before compression, you can pair the sound file down to 22-50 and mono. That should help pair the file size down with out sacrificing to much audio quality (for this sort of project).

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Have several images, but no sounds. Tell me where you can find the trash can image location on the computer, and that might provide me with enough info to write an Applescript to play the sound.

Attached Files:

4. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Here's another. Only allowed one image per message.

Attached Files:

5. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Another

Attached Files:

6. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

it is
    /system/library/coreservices/dock.app/contents/resources/

either trashfull.png or trashempty.png

we could also create an aplication, but i don't know how to program:( i wanna learn java. maybe with that i can create a java aplet or app to make it:D

thanks you guys!

7. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

also, i'm going to use the origional sounds for it i think:D

8. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

9. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I remember the grouch trash thing..It was cool...Just another morsel of why I fell in love with macs :)

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Bad news... I tried to switch the images, but it said that the folder could not be modified.

11. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

click on the folder, then choose file-> get info.... under ownership and permissions press the lock by the owner to unlock the pulldown menu... you have to put in your password. Then under owner just choose your login name and you should be able to modify the folder

12. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that's what i did.

13. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Oh my gosh! I had forgotten all about that! Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best to help you! :D:cool:

14. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i apreciate the pictures, but i need high quality realistic photos. if anyone can script th sound byte to go off whe something enters the trash that would be good. i gotta go eat dinner now.

thanks again!

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah they need to be high-quality, capable of being displayed on a Trashcan icon at 128x128, it needs to be cropped (no backgrounds) and it needs to look decent... could be difficult. wish the damn CTW would help out, they could take a cut of the shareware fee for providing us with high-quality shots of the real Oscar in desired pose. Plus we might avoid the same legal issues as the original Grouch did... ah if only.

anyone wanna try contacting them? i'm sure they'd be extatic about this! we might even get a cease & desist! :)

pnw

16. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i don't want to get a cease and desist before we start this. i'll contact when we're almost done with it, and then start a site and everything. if i decide to make it shareware, which i probably won't but if i do, everyone who helped or tryed to help would get it for free.:D