Help - root processes 90%+ CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Scottyk9, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Occasionally I have found that 2 root processes are hogging all of the CPU resources, namely DCCMDaemon and kernal_task. They behave themselves after a restart of my 15" PB, but it is a little annoying - makes the fan go on, etc. Because these are at the root level I have been afraid to force quit.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Are there any preferences that could be deleted to prevent it?

Thanks for your help.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

How often and when do they run? Mac OS has maintenance tasks set to run late at night. I don't know what they are, and if these are them, but I notice sometimes working late on a college project that Activity Monitor will show some intense root level action for about 10 minutes max.

3. Scottyk9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

stoid - fairly infrequently, maybe 3-4 times in the past month. I must admit, when I notice it, I have usually shut it down without waiting too long.

That is interesting regarding maintenance. I use a PB, and it is either sleeping, or actively being used. Should I leave it on for extended periods so that these maintenance tasks can be performed? Is there a setting to dictate when this maintenecance occurs?
    Thanks

4. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

This is quite a common complaint here at macrumors about PowerBooks. The only solution seems to be a restart.