HELP! Sad Mac on iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Angelus520, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Angelus520 macrumors regular

May 22, 2003
    A friend's 60GB 4G iPod has been having trouble lately so I figured I'd post here to see if you have any ideas.

Here's what she said it's been doing:

A song was just ending, and it froze. I hit the menu part and that bottom part you told me about to shut it down, but it wouldn't move. Then about 2 minutes later, it moved to another song on its own, but didn't play it, then it moved two minutes later, and the song that was posted did not correlate w/ the picture (I.E. there was the album cover of Annie Lenox, but it wasn't her song next to it, it was some Elvis song) then it skipped to another song, it started playing, then stopped. Then started again only to freeze yet again. Started again, so I went back to menu, and it took me back to shuffle again and was stuck on a song (your Heaven's Gate song). Now I finally got it to turn off. ( I think I just hit menu this time to turn it off). And now I get the sad Mac icon.

Any ideas?

2. Angelus520 thread starter macrumors regular

May 22, 2003
  3. wayra macrumors newbie

Nov 30, 2006
    Shake What You Got

I had the same thing happen to my 4G 60 gig, twice. The first time it was under warranty, and I could get it repaired for free. This time, however, they wanted $280--not an option.

So, figuring that it was just something about the harddrive (I could hear a little whirring and clicking like a skipping record or something) , I decided to try just shaking the sucker.

And, it works. So far. I haven't really moved it since, because every time I do the sad face comes back up and requires more shaking.

Regardless, this may be a temporary solution for you. Good luck.
  4. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2006
    i had this happen... talked to representatives for 40 minutes then finally sent it out and got a new one, but theres a story leading up to this.... Iv gone through four ipods in 6 months.... all free though except the first.... (YAAA WARRANTY)

ok heres the list
    fried (overheated and almost burnt my hand)
    corrupted -sad face
    and now this one :p

and trust me im not spoiled... they were all under warranty
  5. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i'm surprised they gave you a new one when yours was stolen. seems like something that wouldn't be covered under AppleCare. but congrats on milking the system for what it's worth!
  6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia

I reckon that once you have to resort to shaking the iPod to get it to work, you're probably not gonna be keeping the thing much longer. Generally speaking, shaking an iPod is bad for it and can cause this icon to appear on a healthy iPod.
  7. Angelus520 thread starter macrumors regular

May 22, 2003
    Thanks for all the suggestions! We stopped at the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue last night (damn cold walk!!!) and they are ordering her a replacement due to a failed hard drive. She got lucky because it was purchased on 12/6/05 so it failed just in the nick of time. She's calling today to get the AppleCare extension.