HELP! safari (outgoing mail) converts pdf to jpg

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amysophie, Feb 28, 2007.

1. amysophie macrumors newbie

When I email a PDF to someone (even to myself) it comes to them instead as a jpg, even though it truly is a pdf. It's as if something in the Safari application is converting the document to an image. The attachment I need to send (which is the issue originating this question) is a business card I designed in Adobe inDesign, which I then exported to Adobe PDF, so it's now saved and delineated as a .pdf file.

Any help appreciated!

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

What webmail service are you using? Could it be it, rather than Safari, making the goofy little change?

What happens if you first ctrl-click the PDF in the finder and pick Create Archive of… ? If you mail out the resulting zip instead of the naked PDF, does that make it through intact?

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

4. amysophie thread starter macrumors newbie

Your advice was right on the money. I created the archive file of the pdf, sent that to myself as a test and there was the pdf, not a jpg. I notice the second reply to my post simply said "safari is not doing that." It would be helpful to know what is doing it, though. If someone can explain that to me, I'd appreciate it, as I've just gone from an iMac with OS 9 to an eMac with OSX 10.4; hence, lots of unfamiliar stuff to figure out.
    Thanks for the help.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Amy, I think both what iMeowbot and dpaanlka are getting at is that the file is most likely being transformed by the webmail service you're using. That is, Safari provides the file to the service as a PDF, but then the service automatically transforms some file types... probably for ease of use by the recipient. That's why they asked you what webmail you are using. All Safari does is pass the file through. Any change of file types is being done by the webmail system you use.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, the poster above me said it might not be Safari, but rather the web mail service. I was just assuring everyone that it was not Safari doing that (and so therefore it had to be the web service). ;)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Since PDF file format stores most bitmap data using JPEG compression, it may well be that the webmail service just thinks it's being helpful in extracting the JPEG data from the PDF. (Kinda like getting rid of the old school Mac resource fork in attached JPEGs.).

B

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The poster above you said no such thing, and in fact wrote no such thing. Asking a person to consider other possibilities is not the same as making a statement about what oneself believes to be true.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

What?

I interpreted that "could it be" sentence as meaning "it might not be Safari" - as in, it might not be but it still could be.

I was making the statement that whatever it was, it couldn't be Safari at all.

10. amysophie thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been with Earthlink for the past seven years or longer. The only switch I've made recently, aside from upgrading my computer and my OS, is going to Earthlink's DSL service. My email programs before the switch to new OS were Communicator and Outlook Express. Until now, I have never had an issue sending PDFs, so presumed that it had to be the switch to Safari.

Amy

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, it's your switch to Earthlink's web-based email system. Safari itself is not an email program, its just a web browser accessing an Earthlink web site to view and manipulate your email. It would have the same effect in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Camino, Netscape etc...

12. amysophie thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate all the help and education.
    Thank you all.
    Amy