Help save my brothers PC!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Grasbak, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

This is the only forum I read, so the only place I can come for help!

My bother has a Phillips Freeline PC which has caused him no end of problems (had various warranty replacements etc, now out of warranty). Problems seem to be based around all the propriety nonesense they stick on the system.

Thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh install of XP without all aforementioned rubbish and used my copy of XP (Phillips dont give u a copy just restore disks which resotre all the rubbish i think) but presume that is ok since he has a legit product key.

however it has basically knackered the computer - installation failed - said it couldnt find disk drivers or something. Everytime you start the computer up it goes into setup mode and then fails. Doesnt seem anyway out! Seems like Phillips dont want you to bypass their stuff.....

Any help out there? I am not much of an expert....

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Reboot off the Philips restore disk. Restore using that. Remember not to buy another Philips PC.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

If you gave him a Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD, then if the PC uses SATA drives it will not recognise it. Use XP SP2 CD.

5. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

Believe me he regrets his purchase!

In his defence, he is a teachers and needs a PC for certain software (I know now he could have a Mac, couldnt when he bought it - he would rather like one after seeing mine.....)

Had used a XP SP2 disc..... we dont have the restore disk which is part of the problem. Ah well, another friend (teacher aswell) has the same machine (!!!!!) - I think he has a restore disk - will give that a go!

Main thing was that we wanted to get rid of all the extra software they add in which seems to cause problems - eg itunes 7 wont install - numerous crashes etc..... you dont seem to be able to uninstall them.