Help Setting up a network printer

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reflow, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Here is what I’m trying to do. I have a Hawking print server connected to my printer with a parallel cable. It now is on the network with ip address 192.168.2.4 which I setup the other pc’s with using the same ip address and works fine. Now when I try to use ip printing with the powerbook and set everything up it still will not print. I do have the drivers installed and everything else setup. Now before we get into all of this I did have it working with a HP external jetdirect. Does anyone know a different way of setting this up?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What OS are you running? Is the printer recognised by the Mac? Does the Mac think it's printing but nothing's coming out? Maybe have a read through some of these tips for Tiger too. :)

3. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Well I'm running tiger with all the updates. As for the mac it does see the printer but nothing prints. I did also look at the article which did not help me. So i'm at a loss on what is happinging. Is there another way instead of using ip printing?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Could you connect it directly to another machine and get that machine to share it? :)

5. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

I really like to keep it networked if I can. Do you know how I can ping it from the powerbook to see if it replies or not?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use Network Utility in the Utilities folder. I reckon it'll come back with a ping though, if OSX already can see it.

7. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

I will try that when I get home. Is there any other ideas that you can think of to get this to work?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, I'm not sure what model you have but Hawkings are meant to work well with OSX. Is it wired? Have you installed the setup utility for Mac? Does it have the latest firmware? :)

9. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Here is an update on my problem. I finally got it working. I did realize that Hawkings printserver had AppleTalk built in. So now it working GREAT.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fantastic! Good work! I would've thought that it'd almost be plug-and-play. That's what Hawking's site implied. Never mind, I'm glad it's all good now. :)

11. Reflow thread starter macrumors 68000

Reflow

Thanks for all your help. Good to know there are people like you to count on