Help setting up Bit Torrent

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Jason_Bryan, Apr 4, 2004.

1. Jason_Bryan macrumors regular

I have a PowerMac running OS X3.3 connected to broadband internet using a Snow Airport base station and Alcatel SpeedTouch router. I need help setting it up to use Bit Torrent. To get the best download speeds I need to be able to open ports ect. I am very no technical minded, so help would be appreciated.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, first up, read the ReadMe, or the instructions that came with the BT client. when you know exactly what ports to open up, open System Preferences go to Sharing, click the 'Firewall' tab. click 'New' to make an entry for BitTorrent. Actually i've got the ports mentioned here, they're 6881-6999.

hope that helps you. :)

3. Jason_Bryan thread starter macrumors regular

I had managed to open the ports in the software fire wall, but I am having trouble with the port forwarding from the router.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

BT doesn't like routers...

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

goto the menu of your router..you can do it thru web browser for most of the routers..it would be in the manual of your router, an address like 192.1688.0.1...
    anyways there probably under advanced, you would be able to open ports..it wd say 'public' give the port 6881, and under 'private' give the ip of your mac and give port 6881..
    it wd be similar to that...
    hope it helps