Help setting up (i)Mail

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mac_i_Am, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Mac_i_Am macrumors member

Either i'm dumb or Apple expect every mac owner to be tech-geeks but I cant figure out how to set up my Mail account! And yes, I did search but with no luck.

So after clicking on Mail (btw why not call it iMail??) I get a window which wants me to enter Name, Email address, Incoming Mail server, Account type, User name, Password & SMTP. Except knowing my name, email address and assuming User name can be anything, I have no idea what and where I can get the rest of the info.

So where do i get the incoming and outgoing mail server from (I only use wireless to get to the web). :confused:

Thanks guys!

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You get that from your internet service provider. Usually when you start your account.

3. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

dont most email accounts use POP and SMTP?

... try pop.ispname.com (incoming)
    and smtp.ispname.com (outgoing)

replace "ispname" with the name of your ISP?

Your ISP should have this info somewhere.....do they have a homepage with help on it?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Dumb isn't the first word I would choose...but erm...well, we'll get you through this.

1) You said you only use wireless to get on the web. What do you mean by this? Do you mean you use your laptop at places like Starbucks or a school that offer wifi service, or do you mean that you have a wireless gateway type of device in your home? If you pay someone for internet service, who is the someone?

2) What is your e-mail address? I don' need you to post the whole thing, but what is the part after the '@'? Like I have an e-mail address that ends in @yahoo.com and another that ends with @ufl.edu (from my institution) and another with @phhp.ufl.edu (from my department) and so on. What is the primary one you use?

5. Mac_i_Am thread starter macrumors member

I don't have internet connection at home anymore so I mostly use it at school and cafes, etc.

i have 2 email addresses (one @hotmail and other @yahoo) and I basically want to get mail from both of those delivered to my iMail so I wouldnt have to sign on twice to check mail.

As far as ISPs go... I kinda understand what they do (e.g the # can be traced to a specific location and give other basic info) but wouldnt know where to look for it, say for my Yahoo account.

I know, i'm (computer) naive but it'll sink in eventually :)

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ahhhh....

For hotmail, you need to use the httpmail plug-in. Or just access your hotmail account using Safari. Don't know about Yahoo.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

As far as I know, Yahoo cannot be accessed from a mail program such as Mac Mail (on a Mac or on Windows or anything else) unless you pay for POP/IMAP service, which is not part of the free service for Yahoo. This is the service level you would need:

http://mailplus.mail.yahoo.com/

If you get the hotmail plugin, it should be pretty easy to set up. But as far as Yahoo goes, the reason you don't know any of the values to put in the blanks is that you don't have the appropriate service level with them..... :(

So basically, you could.... 1) keep using free Yahoo through the web interface, or 2) pay for the upgrade, or 3) change e-mail services to one that offers this for free (e.g. gmail).

8. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

Ok...I tried with my gmail account and this is what happend. i set it up as
    pop.gmail.com and smtp.gmail.com and what i got when i tried sending something was "The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first"

Then I tried changing to pop.mail.google.com and same with stmp but i got an error saying that cannot contact server port 25

9. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

10. jimbo2005 macrumors newbie

Setting up Yahoo mail account for use on Mac Mail

Go to POP Access & Forwarding in your yahoo account settings (do this online via yahoo mail page after logging in). You need to set your account up for pop3 access in order to download them on Mail.

Here are the basic server settings for Yahoo! Mail (lifted from the yahoo help section):
    Incoming Mail (POP3) Server: pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
    Account Name/Login Name: your Yahoo! Mail name (your address without the "@yahoo.co.uk")
    Email address: your Yahoo! Mail address (i.e., user@yahoo.co.uk)
    Password: your Yahoo! Mail password

It’s available for free yahoo accounts – you DON’T need to sign up and pay for one of the monthly extras for this (contrary to mkrishnan’s advice). Hope this helps,

James

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

And this works for users outside the UK? Wow. I stand corrected.