Help setting up OS 10.3 Server...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hob, Mar 27, 2005.

1. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hi guys, a friend asked me to take a look at his set-up and lend a hand. Being such a fan of playing with macs i said "sure!"

I arrived and found a G3 tower being used as a temporary server, and 3 mac minis being used for workstations, along with a few base stations for distributing airport signal to the rest of the building.

I was surprised at how well OS X Server ran on the G3... but I soon came up against a wall. I'm not a professional network engineer, but I'm not an idiot either - I've set up Win2k3 before, just to see if I could - and I actually found it easier than this.

Does anyone know of any good reference sites other than the official Apple server documentation? I just need a quick step-by-step setup guide, so I can have 3 user groups, with about 10 users in each, and then just set some rights, and some bits like what time the mini's turn on and off.

The actual problem i've come up against is quite simple, but I have no idea how to get round it.

I'm trying to set-up user accounts, but so far can only seem to set them up as local to the server. I found the little command-click line so you can select a different directory node, but I have no idea how to set up a new directory.

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie