Help setting up wireless connection between Mac and PC laptops

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Over Achiever, Mar 22, 2003.

1. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Hey, this is my first time asking for help on a mac computer.

Ok, I need to set up a computer to computer connection between my previous laptop and my powerbook so I can transfer files and set up RDC.
    (I can't use ethernet because my PC laptop does not have an ethernet port.)

On my PC laptop running XP Pro, I have a Linksys WPC11 Wireless card (802.11b). In the config screen, I set my wireless connection to 802.11b Ad Hoc, my SSID to <my network name>, Tx rate to automatic, PS (power saving) mode disabled, and channel to 11.

On my powerbook, I click on the airport icon, click create network, and type in the name I chose for the network. The channel is by default at 11.

So, I get this lovely status via "internet connect" on my powerbook saying Imy signal level is at 100%. Thats nice...but when I disconnect my linksys wireless card from my PC laptop, the signal strength stays the same. WTF!

Now as for going through the finder and "connect to server" (apple-K), it searches and searches, but no server! My PC doesn't show up!

Can someone give me a step by step walkthrough, or any ideas on what I'm doing incorrectly?

Many thanks,
    O.A.

2. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

3. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Free Bump

Check out the replies made to my thread called software help ...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22689

I *think* there's an answer there but I'm not sure I understand it. I like the way you're trying to do it since I need to do the same thing, and also have a linksys wreless card in the PC.

Cheers - KS.

4. Ajmbc macrumors regular

~I think the following should help.~
    This is for connecting your mac to your windows.

1) Go to your XP box and turn the C (or whatever the drive you want to share is) drive on for sharing. Put in the name, password, blablabla. Or you can make a shared folder.

2) Go to System Prefs on the Mac, and under the 'Sharing' pane, turn Windows File Sharing on.

3) Under the 'accounts' pane under your user name check 'allow user to log in from Windows'.

4) In the 'network' pane, there is a pop down menu next to the word 'show'. do AirPort. Select 'Using DHCP'.

5) Enable the card on the XP machine. (I don't know exactly how this is done)

6) get the IP address of the XP.

7) go to Go--> Connect to Server and type in: SMB://<ip address of the XP>/

8) Authenticate with the XP username and password.

9) Select your share, press OK and Voila! your folder or hard drive is on the desktop.

PS- on step 5, there might be a little confusion. but mess around with how to enable the card. Everything else should go fine.

Hope this helps!!!

=ajmbc=

5. Over Achiever thread starter macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Whoops I guess I forgot to say I figured it out. I ended up having to set up my IP addresses manually, but hey, it works now.

New question tho, how do I through this computer to computer connection connect to my printer which is connected to my PC? Is it possible? I have printer sharing enabled on my PC and powerbook, i just need to find the printer somehow to add it in print center. Is that the right technique to use?

Many thanks. :)