Help Setting Up Xbox 360 on Network

Discussion in 'Games' started by Scootie Puff Jr, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Scootie Puff Jr macrumors newbie

So I got a 360 for the holidays and have been pretty immersed in Oblivion but decided that I should really try downloading some demos. I have a wireless network using an Airport Express so I had to get an ethernet switcher because the Airport only has one ethernet port, so I did that. My internet connection is fine now but when I try to get the Xbox to sign into Xbox Live it keeps failing the diagnostic because it can't get an IP address. My fear is that it is because everything else in my home is a Mac and the 360 can't communicate but I figured if any group could help it would be you guys. :D

Thanks

2. Scootie Puff Jr thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention

that I am connecting via hard wire ethernet connected to the switch rather than a Xbox 360 wireless unit. The switch was $20 where as the 360 wireless unit is like $100 (that is half a bloody Wii right there). :D

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

you could manually assign your 360 an ip address.

If your using airport (as I do) and have not changed anything, it usually assigns hardware with an ip address in the 10.0.1.* range.

Maybe assign your 360 as 10.0.1.10 and give it the router address of 10.0.0.1

Could you post what make / model of switch it is, a link to it online would be handy so we can visualize your problem a little better.

4. Scootie Puff Jr thread starter macrumors newbie

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll try and dig out some old posts. I did a guide to setting up airport & xbox live the beginning of last year which helped out a lot of people. Now it's just matter of trying to find it again.

If I have any luck finding it i'll send you a pm, if I cant find it I'll pm you anyway.