Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
I have to install some software on my laptop (Windows 2000). The software comes on a DVD, but my laptop does not have a DVD drive. However, I have a Mac (OS 10.3) that has a DVD drive. I am able to mount my laptop HD on my Mac, and I am able to mount my Mac HD on my laptop. However, I can't figure out how to access the DVD that is in my Mac from the laptop.

Is this even possible (i.e. access the DVD that is inserted in my Mac from my laptop)? If it is not possible, then does anyone have other ideas?

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
you may be able to read the dvd from the macs drie over ethernet however it will be extremely choppy and not work quite right. What you may have to do is take the drive out of the mac and get an exernall mount for it. Or you could buy a dvd drivefor your laptop or if your laptop has hotswappable drives you may be able to borrow the drive from a friend who has a laptop with a dvd drive.

jywv8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Hurrah!

Ok, I figured out a solution, in case anyone is interested. I made a copy of the disk using Disk Utility, and then copied the .dmg file over to my laptop. Then I mounted the .dmg file with DAEMON Tools, which is a virtual cd/dvd-rom emulator. It worked!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.