help sharing files, etc.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by phreakout13, Jan 20, 2004.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Hi
    To some of you, this may sound pathetic, but I need help connecting my two macs. I have NO experience networking or connecting 2 computers or anything. All I want to do is be connected with appletalk to play starcraft and share music and stuff. My new computer is an eMac with osX and my other one is a bondi iMac with OS 9.2. I have built in ethernet ports on the computers which are connected into an ethernet router so both computers can use my cable internet. Someone PLEASE help. Where do I start? I have no idea. Many thanks!

2. phreakout13 thread starter macrumors 6502

phreakout13

3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Looks like MacAddict just saved BOTH our asses.
    (May 2003, p73-74.)

Here it goes:

[ 1 ] "Make sure you have an Ethernet crossover cable—not a stantard Ethernet cable—if you want to network to Macs together directly. ... Simply plug an end into each Mac's Ethernet port to connect your two Macs together."

[ 2 ] "[On your OS 9 Mac], select Chooser from the Apple menu and make AppleTalk active. Select Control Panels from the Apple menu, then File Sharing to open the window. Click the Start...tab and type your name, a password, and a computer name in the appropriate fields if this information isn't already there. In the File Sharing Off section, check the Enable File Sharing Clients To Connect Over TCP/IP box, click Start, wait for File Sharing to start up, and then close the window. [My additional note: If in the future connecting your two Macs doesn't establish the network, check this TCP/IP option and make sure it's still on.] To share your hard drive with your new computer, select its desktop icon and press Command-I. From the Show pop-up menu, select Sharing. Check the Share This Item And Its Contents box and select your name from the Owner pop-up menu. Skip to step 4."

[ 3 ]: "If your old Mac runs OS X..."

[ 4 ] "On your new Mac, log in as administrator and select System Preferences from the Apple menu. Click the Sharing preference to display its options. Enter a name for your new computer in the Computer Name field if one isn't there already (choose one that's different from your old machine's). Click the Services tab, and then check the Personal File Sharing box. [My additional note: If in the future connecting your two Macs doesn't establish the network, make sure there is still a check in the Personal File Sharing box.] When File Sharing finishes starting up, click the Network preference at the top of the window, and select Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu. If connecting to an OS previous to OS X, click the AppleTalk tab, check the Make AppleTalk Active box, and click Apply now."

[ 5 ] "To access files on your old Mac, select Connect To Server from the Go menu in your new Mac's Finder. You should see the names of your old and new Macs in the resulting dialog. Select your old Mac's name and click Connect. [My additional note: If your mac does not show up after following the procedure for the first time, it means, flat out and simple, you didn't follow all the little details. That got me so many times when I first tried doing an X to X machine connect. Go back and confirm that you did every step exactly as told if your networking Mac doesn't show up in the Go box.] In the dialog, choose Registered User, type the user name and password for your old Mac in the designated fields, and click Connect. In the resulting dialog, select a volume and click OK to mount it on your desktop. [My additional note: To terminate the network safely, drag your mounted volume to the desktop to eject it, or click it and press Command-E.]

Are we still phreak[ing]out13 anymore?