Help!! (.sitx File Downloads as a .txt File)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by KP123, Mar 18, 2007.

1. KP123 macrumors newbie

Sorry as this is probably stupid as im new to macs, and have searched google but i've just downloaded Kelly Slaters Pro Surfer from the apple website trial and the files a .txt file? The default app s text edit? Have i done something wrong or am I just completely stupid? Can anybody please help me?

2. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

.TXT is just a text file and Text edit is Mac's default program to read text files.

Mac programs usually have the suffix .dmg

FJ

3. KP123 thread starter macrumors newbie

So how can i change this so i can launch the app? do i just change the extension to dmg?

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you're sure it's meant to be a .dmg, then change it. Otherwise that will you absolutely nothing. Have you opened the txt file and read if it contains any instructions?

5. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

If you are downloading the demo of the game, you get a file i believe called... KSPS_Mac_Demo13.sitx.txt , you need to rename this file to KSPS_Mac_Demo13.sitx and extract the file with stuffit expander. download it here. After that not sure what to do since i don't have stuffit installed and haven't extracted the file myself. You will probably end up with a dmg which you can double click and get your application.

it was renamed .txt btw because safari didn't understand the MIME type and made it a generic text file. Apple didn't include stuffit in tiger i believe (a shift to dmg and zip files) and so sometimes this happens. Hope that helps.