HELP: smbd runaway process! over 200 threads!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by slazareth, Apr 6, 2006.

1. slazareth macrumors regular

Hey guys, I've got a crazy problem over here. smbd is running over 200 threads (maybe its called processes not threads, but its smbd listed over 200 times in activity monitor) on my computer. After I've been in OS X for about 10-15 minutes, the smbd process shows up in activity monitor and duplicates itself rapidly until my VM size reahces roughly 24GB and then I can't do anything because its using up so much of my virtual memory that other apps can't launch. I really hope someone knows how to fix this. thanks!

--Casey

MacBook Pro 2.0GHz
    OS X 10.4.6
    2GB RAM

PS - I read up on the process and apparently its used for windows sharing. In my sys prefs when I go to sharing, windows sharing is off and the start button is disabled.

2. slazareth thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I restarted and turned off Windows Sharing as soon as OS X was up and it appears to keep the smbd from running. I've been going a good 10 minutes and still no sign of it. However I'd still like to fix the problem because I do need to use windows sharing.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's a bit of an OSX bug and I haven't seen a good fix yet. Try creating a new user account and see if you still get the same problems. :)

4. iTOtto macrumors newbie

Solution found?

Well, it has hit my Xserve now - same symptoms. Has anyone figured out how to fix it short of reinstalling the machine?

Regards,
    iTOtto