HELP - Something went awry with my Speakable Items

Discussion in 'macOS' started by walkingmac, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

    walkingmac

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2003
    Location:
    Greater Cincinnati
    #1
    GASP, I installed a third party voice (which all suck by they way, don't bother) and restarted my computer, Speakable Items no longer work! The mic interface comes up, but nothing is in the Speech Commands window! I don't have this problem in other users. HELP!
     
  2. snkTab macrumors 6502a

    snkTab

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2004
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
  3. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

    walkingmac

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2003
    Location:
    Greater Cincinnati
    #3
    Diane from Cepstral. I tried others but they were worse then this one. I have searched all over and can't find any help. The issue is isolated to just my user but I would like to try and resolve this without moving to a new user, I see that as a last resort. Any help?
     
  4. snkTab macrumors 6502a

    snkTab

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2004
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #4
    Cepstral uses installers to add the voices, so I'm quessing this is how you installed it (rather than placing it manually whereever the other voices are)

    Do you have a 'Cepstal Voices' in the 'other' section of System Preferences? If you do, you could try uninstalling the voice. If that doesn't work then just talk to Cepstal, I believe they are very customer friendly and well answer emails promptly (when in doubt, go to the source.)

    And of course the old fallback, repairing permissions, which can be done using disk utility in your utilities folder.
     
  5. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

    walkingmac

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2003
    Location:
    Greater Cincinnati
    #5
    ya... repair permissions and trashing pref's are the given. Nada. gunna try the voice people and see if they can't give more insight... hope that takes care of it.
     
  6. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

    walkingmac

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2003
    Location:
    Greater Cincinnati
    #6
    ok, in an odd turn of events, I narrowed it down at a corrupt Address Book DB. I managed to save my User by using iBackup and create a backup of a new Users' DB file and then restore that file on my User, then re-import the vCards (not a backup DB as that just brings the whole problem back again) and fixed. Very off, probably just some random quark as I don't recall doing anything with Address Book at the time of the problem starting.
     

Share This Page