Help, speakers vanished!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RussellinBristo, Feb 26, 2007.

1. RussellinBristo macrumors newbie

I've got a MacBook Pro (17-inch, 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM) and suddenly I have no sound. 'Built-in speakers' has vanished from the list of output options in the Sound part of System Preferences and the only way I can hear anything is to run a line-out to the stereo, at which point 'Output' switches to 'Headphones'. But the moment I unplug the line-out, my only 'Output' option is Digital Out/Built-In Output

According to another forum this isn't a unique problem, anyone have any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If you make a new user account, do you still have the same problem?

3. RussellinBristo thread starter macrumors newbie

It's okay I found the answer in another thread. Bizarrely it involved wiggling a cable tie around in the headphone socket/line-out till the red light disappeared.

Good old Apple.

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'm glad you got it resolved.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that when I read your thread title, I just got an image of someone walking up to their laptop and the speakers had been ripped out. It was a humourous vision. =)

5. splatman macrumors newbie

where did you find the solution?

I have the same problem with my powerbook 17"

can you remember where you found the solution

Thanks

6. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I read about that as well; I think even on macrumors (so search the forum ;)). Apparently the contact inside the headphone jack short circuits easily. If so, the audio will 'vanish'. Poking around inside the jack using a paperclip or something should fix the issue (i read).