Help speeding up Transmission DL speeds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Apr 14, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

i like transmission, but it seems like it takes long to dl stuff....any ideas on how to speed it up?

2. macrumors 68000

M@lew

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502a

macg4

do u have a router?

5. macrumors 6502a

try using the beta. it's very stable, and it has some new bittorrent features like PEX (whatever that is, but it helps transfer speeds :))

6. macrumors regular

I just purchased a program called Lighthouse from www.codelaide.com that opens ports for you with one click. It can even open ports automatically when you open a program, and close them when you quit. I used to do it using Airport Utility, but this program is so much easier. If you don't mind spending about $12, it's well worth it, and is useful for speeding up many internet-using programs. (I am not related to the program at all, I just recently purchased it and I'm really thrilled with it!)

7. thread starter macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors 6502

A lot of the time when people are complaining about speeds with Bittorrent it is the actual torrent at fault. Bittorrent downloads are speed limited to the amount of bandwidth the seeds and peers give it.

But that said opening the ports is a good idea.

9. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

With transmission I downloaded the SXSW showcase problem free, with no ports open on my Mac and my router set to forward the appropriate port to another IP address, (and later with forwarding disabled), as long as you are getting some upload/download the torrent is the problem not your router.

10. macrumors 6502

How would someone know exactly what ports are required to be opened? I don't have experience w/ this.

11. macrumors 68020

daveL

default for transmission is port 9090.

12. macrumors member

dump Transmission, and use Bit on Wheels, it much better.

13. macrumors 6502

nihilisticmonk

Naa, I courtiously disagree.
    B.O.W. isn't being actively developed any more, and isn't a universal binary.
    Sure it still works, but it isn't exactly kept up to date, or resplendant with features.

Transmission post v 7 (I've been using the daily builds for a while) is a great app.

And if your router supports UPNP and it's enabled, transmission can sort out all your port forwarding without you lifting a finger (cue some "security expert" saying it's a bad idea to keep upnp enabled, but I say go for it, just make sure your router Firmware is up to date).

PEX is peer exchange. lets you download off people faster apparently.
    Your client asks clients it's downloading from what (good) clients IT'S downloading from, and adds them to you. Meaning all the guys who are playing nice interconnect with each other.

Hope that helps!